The Influence of Online Game Addiction on Student Personality Attitudes

Authors

  • Bagus Sulaiman Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia
  • Arief Nur Rahman Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia
  • Muhammad Azriel Zamzami Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia
  • Nada Desriani Horokubun Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia
  • Desy Novasarah Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.59110/aplikatif.v2i2.125

Keywords:

Addiction, Online Games, Personality Attitude

Abstract

In light of the widespread use of online games for entertainment and the potential negative impact of addiction on personality attitudes, this study investigates the causal relationship between online game addiction and personality attitudes among students. Specifically, the research aims to explore the nature of changes in personality attitudes resulting from online game addiction. The study, conducted with 226 students from the Faculty of Communication and Multimedia Sciences, Mercu Buana University Yogyakarta, Class of 2021, employs a descriptive and causal research design through a quantitative approach. Data is collected using online game addiction questionnaires and attitude personality surveys distributed directly to students. The findings reveal a substantial 63.7% influence of online game addiction on the personality attitudes of these students, underscoring the need for a nuanced understanding of the impact of online gaming on individuals. While the remaining 36.3% is influenced by variables not studied, future research might delve into these aspects for a more comprehensive understanding. This study contributes valuable insights into the intricate relationship between online game addiction and personality attitudes, with potential implications for educational and psychological contexts.

References

Anjasari, E. A., Srinadi, I. G. A. M., & Nilakusmawati, D. P. E. (2020). Hubungan Kecanduan Bermain Game Online terhadap Interaksi Sosial Pada Remaja. E-Jurnal Matematika, 9(3), 177-181.

Fadila, E., Robbiyanto, S. N., & Handayani, Y. T. (2022). Pengaruh Game Online Terhadap Perubahan Perilaku Remaja. Jurnal Ilmiah Kedokteran dan Kesehatan, 1(2), 17-31.

Griffiths, M. D. (2008). Videogame addiction: Further thoughts and observations. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 6, 182-185.

Ismi, N., & Akmal, A. (2020). Dampak game online terhadap perilaku siswa di lingkungan sma negeri 1 bayang. Journal of Civic Education, 3(1), 1-10.

Izza, F. K. (2019). Dampak Game Online Terhadap Perilaku Keagamaan Remaja di Desa Modopuro Mojosari (Doctoral dissertation, UIN Sunan Ampel Surabaya).

Johan, R. (2019). Pengaruh Game Online Terhadap Minat Untuk Belajar Peserta Didik Kelas X Di Ma Al Hidayah Depok. Research and Development Journal of Education, 5(2), 12-25.

Lemmens, J.S., Valkenburg, P.M. & Peter, J. (2009). Development and validation of a gameaddiction scale for adolescents. Media Psychology, 12(1), 77–95

McCrae, R. R., & Costa, P. T., Jr. (1999). A Five-Factor theory of personality. In L. A. Pervin & O. P. John (Eds.), Handbook of personality: Theory and research (2nd ed., pp. 139-153). New York: Guilford.

Oktavianti, A. (2020). Hubungan Kecanduan Game Online Terhadap Interaksi Sosial pada Remaja Dikelurahan Cipedak Jakarta Selatan (Doctoral dissertation, Universitas Pembangunan Nasional Veteran Jakarta).

Parwati, S. R. D. (2018). Pengaruh konformitas teman sebaya, depresi, dan trait kepribadian terhadap kecanduan game online pada remaja (Bachelor's thesis, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta Fakultas Psikologi, 2018).

Tayibnapis, R. G. (2021). Fenomena game online dan pembaruan teknologi komunikasi sebagai media baru. J. Curere, 6(11), 32-50.

Ulfa, M., & Risdayati, R. (2017). Pengaruh kecanduan game online terhadap perilaku remaja di mabes game center jalan hr. subrantas kecamatan tampan pekanbaru (Doctoral dissertation, Riau University).

Ulya, L., Sucipto, S., & Fathurohman, I. (2021). Analisis Kecanduan Game Online Terhadap Kepribadian Sosial Anak. Jurnal Educatio FKIP UNMA, 7(3), 1112-1119.

Downloads

Published

18-11-2023

How to Cite

Sulaiman, B., Rahman, A. N., Zamzami, M. A., Horokubun, N. D., & Novasarah, D. (2023). The Influence of Online Game Addiction on Student Personality Attitudes. APLIKATIF: Journal of Research Trends in Social Sciences and Humanities, 2(2), 77–82. https://doi.org/10.59110/aplikatif.v2i2.125
| Abstract views: 67 / PDF downloads: 89