The Influence of Instagram on Fomo Syndrome (Fear of Missing Out)

Authors

  • Shelly Dike Ananda Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia
  • Luthfia Amira Khadijah Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia
  • Fransiska Lissa Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia
  • Ageng Triyono STKIP Kusumanegara Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.59110/aplikatif.v2i1.121

Keywords:

FoMO Syndrome, Influence, Instagram

Abstract

FoMO (Fear of Missing Out) which means fear of being left behind in any case, for example the newer trends and fashions. Someone who has FoMo syndrome tends not to be himself, and it's easy to follow others. One of the reasons is the frequent access to Instagram social media. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to determine whether there is influence of Instagram social media on FoMo syndrome. This type of research is quantitative research with survey methods. The population in this study were all students of the Faculty of Communication and Multimedia, Mercu Buana University Yogyakarta class of 2021. The instruments used were a questionnaire on the use of social media and the FoMO syndrome. The data analysis used is the Pearson Product Moment correlation to determine the relationship between Instagram social media use and FoMO syndrome, and simple linear regression analysis to determine whether there is an influence of Instagram social media on FoMO syndrome. The results showed that there was a strong positive relationship between Instagram social media and student FoMO syndrome. Furthermore, there is a 60% influence between the use of social media on FoMO syndrome in college students. So that the other 40% is influenced by other variables not examined.

Author Biographies

Shelly Dike Ananda, Universitas Mercu Buana Yogyakarta, Sleman, Indonesia

 

 

Ageng Triyono, STKIP Kusumanegara Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia

 

 

References

Aisafitri, L., & Yusriyah, K. (2021). Kecanduan Media Sosial (FoMO) Pada Generasi Milenial. Jurnal Audience: Jurnal Ilmu Komunikasi, 4(01), 86-106.

Akbar, R. S., Aulya, A., Psari, A. A., & Sofia, L. (2019). Ketakutan akan kehilangan momen (FoMO) pada remaja kota Samarinda. Psikostudia J. Psikol, 7(2), 38.

Komariah, K., Tayo, Y., & Utamidewi, W. (2022). Pengaruh Penggunaan Jejaring Sosial Terhadap Perilaku Fear of Missing Out (FoMO) pada Remaja. NUSANTARA: Jurnal Ilmu Pengetahuan Sosial, 9(9), 3463-3471.

Lahia, T. L., Salakay, S., & Bandjar, A. (2022). Pengaruh Penggunaan Instagram Terhadap Perilaku Fear of Misisng Out (Studi pada Mahasiswa Ilmu Komunikasi Angkatan 2018-2020 Universitas Pattimura). Jurnal Ilmu Komunikasi Pattimura, 1(2), 181-195.

Munandar, H. (2016). Aktivitas Komunikasi Pemerintahan Ridwan Kamil di Media Sosial Facebook, Twitter, dan Instagram. Prosiding Hubungan Masyarakat, 423-430.

Nadzirah, S., Fitriani, W., & Yeni, P. (2022). Dampak Sindrom FoMo terhadap Interaksi Sosial pada Remaja. Intelegensia: Jurnal Pendidikan Islam, 10(1), 54-69.

Rahadatul'aisyi, I. S. (2022). Pengaruh Fear of Missing Out terhadap Keinginan Stalking Pengguna Instagram di Masa Pandemi Covid-19. Jurnal Interaksi: Jurnal Ilmu Komunikasi, 6(2), 204-214.

Rahayuningsih, T., & Sumaryanti, I. U. (2022, July). Pengaruh Tingkat Neuroticism terhadap Fear of Missing Out (FoMO) pada Mahasiswa Pengguna Instagram. In Bandung Conference Series: Psychology Science (Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 463-471).

Taswiyah, T. (2022). Mengantisipasi Gejala Fear of Missing Out (FoMO) Terhadap Dampak Sosial Global 4.0 dan 5.0 Melalui Subjective Weel-Being dan Joy of Missing Out (JoMO). Jurnal Pendidikan Karakter JAWARA (Jujur, Adil, Wibawa, Amanah, Religius, Akuntabel), 8(1).

Zahroh, L., & Sholichah, I. F. (2022). Pengaruh Konsep Diri dan Regulasi diri Terhadap Fear of Missing Out (FoMO) pada Mahasiswa Pengguna Instagram. Jurnal Pendidikan dan Konseling (JPDK), 4(3), 1103-1109.

Downloads

Published

30-06-2023

How to Cite

Ananda, S. D., Khadijah, L. A., Lissa, F., & Triyono, A. (2023). The Influence of Instagram on Fomo Syndrome (Fear of Missing Out). APLIKATIF: Journal of Research Trends in Social Sciences and Humanities, 2(1), 37–45. https://doi.org/10.59110/aplikatif.v2i1.121
| Abstract views: 511 / PDF downloads: 297